-Coronavirus 19 Update- In line with Government advice to help slow the spread of Coronavirus
from Monday 16th March we have been advised all
routine appointments should be cancelled and postponed.
Please only contact the practice with urgent or immediate medical problems.
Please continue to contact the practice by phone; do not attend the reception desk.
Prescriptions will be delivered to a pharmacy that is most convenient to you.
We appreciate your support and patience at this time and will endeavour
to keep you updated as information changes.
COVID 19 – Changes to Our Services
Our practice is currently following NHS Lothian Emergency Planning Guidelines so that we are able to continue to offer essential services to our patients.
We appreciate that there are a lot of changes to take in, which are outlined below.
Please keep updated by continuing to visit our website, and please follow our Facebook page:
Strathesk Medical Practice Facebook Page
Bonnyrigg Health Centre Main Entrance Door Closed
Unfortunately as a result of people not respecting the need for social distancing within Bonnyrigg Health Centre, and for the need to telephone before coming in, the main internal doors are now closed until further notice. The main external doors will be used by Cohens to allow patients to collect prescriptions. Patients should not be attending any other appointments in the building except by prior arrangement and following a telephone consultation. Patients will be given a time to come in and allocated an access door to enter for each practice or service. You will not be allowed to access the building without a prior telephone call.
Our practice has made arrangements for the collection of prescriptions by the pharmacies. Prescriptions can still be ordered by telephone or email and all patients who phone will be appropriately triaged by the clinical teams. Please be assured that all patients who need to see a GP will be seen. We have taken these steps to make sure that all our staff are protected as much as possible so that our services can continue in the weeks that lie ahead
It has come to our attention that some patients who have had to attend the health centre for appointments have been unhappy with waiting outside to be collected by their clinician.
Each clinician has been instructed to only allow the patient they are seeing to enter the building; this is to minimise contamination risk through the building.
We understand that weather can be changeable and clinician's appointments can overrun at times, making the wait less than comfortable. Unfortunately this precaution is necessary in order to protect our staff, our patients and you.
Patients should arrive at their appointment time rather than earlier to save them from having to wait. If the weather is bad, you are welcome to wait in your car or under cover; let the receptionist know this is what you're doing and we can alert you when the clinician is ready to let you in at the door. It takes time for clinicians to kit up in protective clothing and clean the room before their next patient. We have tried to allocate time for this.
Please bear with us, your patience is greatly appreciated and the well wishes that we have received really help to brighten our days.
Prescriptions – Temporary Change to Services Due to Covid 19
- We will no longer accept paper prescription requests.
- Instead we ask that patients request prescriptions online or via email email@example.com
- Patients who do not have access to the internet can telephone the practice with requests.
- Patients may ask their usual pharmacy to order their medications – please ask them on the phone or in person, as they are no longer accepting paper requests either.
- Please do not come to the practice to collect your prescription.
- We will send your prescription directly to a local pharmacist.
- If you are not currently registered with a local pharmacy, please let us know which pharmacy you would like your prescription to be sent to.
- Please allow one week between requesting and collecting repeat prescriptions.
Fit Note (Sick line) Requests – Temporary Change to Procedure Due to Covid 19
- Please request fit notes via email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you do not have internet access, we will accept your request over the telephone.
- All fit notes will be posted to patients; they cannot be collected from the practice.
- The practice will not be issuing sick lines for patients who are self isolating due to Covid-19, however employers should respect the need to stay at home, please see guidance from HRMC for more details.
- If, following official advice, you are self isolating for 7 to 14 days because you are unwell or someone in your household is unwell, please visit the Official NHS Isolation Note website to obtain an isolation note.
- Patients who are considered to be very high risk, who should not leave the house for the next 12 weeks, have been identified by the Scottish Government and they have sent letters directly to these patients. The letter is evidence for your employer, to show that you cannot work outside the home, and you should tell your employer if you receive one. You do not need a separate fit note from your GP. See our News Page for further information.
Blood Test Appointments – Temporary Change to Services Due to Covid 19
- Not all blood tests that have been planned for patients are essential.
- Clinicians will be reviewing the notes of patients who were due to have blood tests and will make decisions on whether the blood test is required at this time. If your blood test is not required, a receptionist will be asked to let you know.
- Essential blood tests will continue to be taken.
Contraception and Hormone Replacement Therapy – Temporary Change to Services Due to Covid 19
- Appointments can still be booked for depo contraception injections, as long as you are well on the day of your appointment.
- We are not booking appointments for patients to be seen for the contraceptive pill or HRT.
- If you require a prescription for your contraceptive pill or HRT, please telephone or email (email@example.com) the practice to request this. We will issue a three month prescription – please let us know which pharmacy to send this to.
- If you require your contraceptive implant to be changed, please telephone us. Depending on staff capacity, we will whenever possible try to organise appointments for patients who are well.
- We are not currently booking appointments for coil changes. We can provide alternative contraception for patients who are due coil changes.
Cervical Smear Appointments – Temporary Change to Services Due to Covid 19
- We are currently unable to provide appointments for routine smear tests.
Postnatal Checks and Baby Checks - – Temporary Change to Services Due to Covid 19
- New mothers can book a GP telephone appointment for their six week check.
- Our doctors will not routinely see babies for a six week check.
- Health visitors will continue to see babies for their first imms. Please discuss any concerns about your baby with your health visitor, who will seek GP advice if required.
- If you have any urgent concerns regarding your baby, we can arrange for a GP to phone you back.
Travel Clinic – Temporary Change to Services Due to Covid 19
- We are currently unable to provide a travel clinic service.
Drug Misuse Clinics
- These will run as usual and patients can attend as long as they are well.
Chronic Disease Clinics – Temporary Change to Services Due to Covid 19
- Patients will no longer be invited to book Practice Nurse appointments to review chronic conditions.
- If you have recently been sent a letter or text inviting you to make a routine appointment, we are sorry but we are unable to book these.
- Patients who are currently under review regarding a chronic disease (for example, if you have recently been started on a new blood pressure medication) will be followed up if a clinician agrees that this is necessary.
Private Work – Temporary Change to Services Due to Covid 19
- We are no longer able to provide medicals (e.g. HGV medicals)
- We are no longer able to complete insurance reports – please advise your insurance company that your GP is currently unable to offer essential services to patients.
Click the link for the latest Government advice:
If you have travelled to any of the affected areas in the last 2 weeks, or you have been in contact with someone who has
and you think you have symptoms of the virus, please do not come down to the surgery.
You can see an up to date list of the affected areas by clicking on this Health Protection Scotland link :
Phone the practice and tell the receptionist of your concerns. A GP will call you back.
Updates on public health advice for coronavirus can be found on the NHS Inform website, and a free helpline has been set up for
those who do not have symptoms but are looking for general health advice: 0800 028 2816.
Our doctors have requested that our patients do not attend the practice at 8.30am in the mornings to book appointments.
Rather than large numbers of patients queuing, patients should telephone the practice in the morning to book appointments.
We wish to reassure patients that we will have more staff available to answer the telephone first thing in morning.
We have also had to take the precautionary measure of stopping the booking of
routine nurse and blood appointments (exceptions include: INR Patients, Methotrexate patients and Chemotherapy bloods).
We are a friendly and modern General Practice offering a wide and comprehensive range of services to our patients with a commitment to high standards of health care.
Welcome to our website where we hope you will benefit from a user friendly layout and information about our healthcare services and appointments . You can also find out when we’re open and what to do when we’re not. There is a wealth of information available on our website - please look at the menus at the top of this page, as well as links on the purple band at the bottom of this page. Our Quick Links page lets you click on buttons to find the most often looked for information on our website.
Our team are dedicated to your continued good health and approach your care with professionalism.
Our practice is open to new patients. Please see our New Patients page for further details. We do not discriminate on grounds of age, race, gender, sexual orientation, appearance, social class, religion, disability or medical condition.
We are open weekdays 8.30am to 6pm. Our practice is working in conjunction with Midlothian Health and Social Care Partnership to improve our services for our patients. The partnership has been formed between NHS Lothian and Midlothian Council. Please see our signposting page for more details.
Take a look at our new Facebook page!
We shall keep this page up to date with all the latest news and healthcare information from the practice.
Make sure you like the page to stay up to date!
Visit us on Facebook
*CORONA VIRUS UPDATE*
If you have been tested for the Corona Virus in the community and have been advised to self isolate please
take a look at the link below for more information.
Local WNCoV patient information sheet v2.docx
Click here to subscribe to our practice newsletter
Click here to read our latest news
(Site updated 02/04/2020)